Save money and plan your food budget
There are common misconceptions that the ketogenic diet is more expensive than other diets. While this type of diet may be a bit more expensive than buying grain-based products, it is much cheaper than many people assume.
A well-implemented ketogenic diet may be more expensive than a diet based mainly on carbohydrates or sugars but does not differ in price in any way from other types of nutrition, for example, a balanced diet. There are many ways to save money when you eat low-carb meals. The best ways to save money are the same as they are for other budgets:
- Search for offers. There will always be a sale or discount on keto-friendly products. You can usually find information on promotions in magazines and newsletters that are shipped home, but you can also search directly in the store or on the store’s website. You can save money on a significant portion of your low carb purchases if you make wise choices.
- Buy larger quantities. Buying food in large quantities (especially from the source of the products) can significantly reduce costs
- Prepare your own dishes. While it is convenient to purchase pre-prepared products, it always adversely affects the final price. For example, try to prepare your own vegetables instead of buying pre-cut ones. You can also prepare mayonnaise or sauces yourself at home, so you can also be sure what exactly is in them. Even the simplest things can make a huge difference to the overall value of your grocery shopping.
Overall, eating a lot of fat, a moderate amount of protein and a small number of carbohydrates can have a huge impact on your health, including lowering cholesterol, losing weight, reducing blood sugar, and increasing energy and mood.
Any change in eating habits may be difficult to plan at the very beginning, but it becomes something completely hassle-free after a few days. The growing popularity of pro-health topics makes it easier to quickly obtain food with a low carbohydrate content.
Below, we provide the best advice for people starting their adventure with healthy, low-carbohydrate nutrition.
- Stick to a set plan. People who strictly limit their carbohydrate intake achieve the best results. Try to keep your carbs as low as possible, especially during the first month of following the new rules. Be careful, remove excess sweets and artificial sweeteners (such as diet soda), as removing these ingredients will greatly reduce your sugar requirements.
- Drink water and replenish electrolytes. The most common problems are caused by dehydration or a lack of electrolytes. When you start your keto diet (as well as later), make sure you drink plenty of water, salt your foods, and take well-chosen ketosis-supporting dietary supplements.
- Keep track of what you consume. Because carbohydrates are hidden in many foods, it is very easy to overeat them. Keeping track of what you eat helps you control your carbohydrate intake and maintain total control over the weight loss process.
If you still don’t know where to start or want to learn more, we highly recommend checking out this article on the basic principles of ketogenic nutrition to help you lose weight healthily.